El Olivar-Syrah
90 Pts Robert Parker
Tasting Notes:
Deep and intense purplish-red in color. The elegant nose offers intense aromas of red fruits, violets, and sweet spices accompanied by subtle notes of black olives and graphite that reflect the place of origin. Intense and fruity on the palate with tremendous structure, the wine is vertical and fresh with silky tannins that fuse with mineral notes and lead on to a long and deep finish.


Vineyards:
El Olivar, located near Peralillo in the Colchagua Valley. The vineyard is 12 years old. The vineyard is located on a hillside with a 1020% slope. It is planted on soils of geological origin with very good porosity over fractured rock and is highly colonized by roots. It lies below a small horizon dominated by clay. The vineyard is planted to a density of 2,899 plants per hectare, and the vines are trellised to low vertical shoot position and spur pruned. Shoots are tipped in spring and early summer. Leaves are manually pulled in early March to increase sunlight and ventilation to the grapes.


Vinification process:
The first selection took place in the vineyard, and only the bunches in optimal condition were picked. The grapes were then manually selected prior to destemming and crushing into a tank, where they underwent a 6-day pre-fermentation cold soak at 810C (46-50F) for greater extraction of color and aromatic compounds. The alcoholic fermentation took place with selected yeasts in stainless steel tanks at 2628C (79-82F) with four short pump over per day and ending with a 1-week post-fermentation maceration. The new wine was racked to oak barrels, where malolactic fermentation occurred naturally. The finished wine was very lightly filtered before bottling.

Main aromas and flavors:
Red fruits, violets, and sweet spices accompanied by subtle notes of black olives.


Grape:
Syrah


Aging process:
The wine was aged for 16 months in French oak barrels, 25% new, and the remaining 75% with prior use.


Alcohol Contents:
14,5% vol.


History Awards:
90 Pts Robert Parker 2007
90 Pts Wine Enthusiast 2007



single-vineyard-elolivar-syrah