Secreto Malbec
91 Robert Parker
Tasting Notes:
Deep, intense violet in color. Aromas of dark fruits and berries intermingle with subtle notes of sweet spices, violets, and red tobacco. The palate is fruity with very good volume, medium structure, and silky tannins that lead to a long and lightly mineral finish.

Vineyards:
El Olivar, located near the town of Peralillo in the Colchagua Valley. The plantation averages 14 years in age. The soil in Piedmont of geological origin with a 5–8% slope. The soil has very good porosity and drainage. The first horizon is very well structure and presents abundant fine root development. The vineyard was planted to a density of 2,900 vines per hectare, trellised to low vertical shoot position, and spur and cane pruned. Shoots are tipped in spring and early summer.


Vinification process:
The grapes were manually selected prior to being destemmed and crushed into a stainless steel tank. They then underwent a 3-day cold maceration at 8ºC (46ºF) prior to fermentation for greater extraction of color and aromas. Alcoholic fermentation took place with native yeasts at 27º–29ºC (81-84ºF) with 2 pump over per day that were kept short to extract just the most elegant tannins and obtain a fruitier and friendlier wine. A portion of the new wine underwent malolactic fermentation naturally in oak barrels.

Main aromas and flavors:
Dark fruits and berries intermingle with subtle notes of sweet spices, violets, and red tobacco.


Grape:
Malbec 85% and 15% “secret”


Aging process:
58% of the wine was aged in French oak barrels for 7 months. The remaining 42% aged in stainless steel and concrete tanks to contribute fruitiness and freshness to the final blend.


Alcohol Contents:
14% vol.


History Awards:
91 Robert Parker


secreto malbec