Malbec Gran Reserva
Tasting Notes:
Deep and intense purple in color. The elegant nose features aromas of red fruits, forest fruits, cherries, blueberries, and subtle notes of black pepper and blond tobacco that lend complexity. The palate offers notes of red fruits and wild blackberries accompanied by tremendous structure and fresh acidity. The wine is very intense and vibrant with well-rounded tannins and a long and complex finish.

Vineyards:
The grapes for this wine come primarily our vineyards at the San Carlos estate near Cunaco in the Colchagua Valley. The blocks average 24 years in age. The soils are of alluvial origin with a sandy-clay texture. They are deep, extraordinarily porous, and have very good capacity for administering water to the plant throughout the year, which is very important for the Malbec variety. The vineyard density is 4,464 plants per hectare. The vines are trellised to low vertical shoot position or double guyot and are cane pruned. Shoots are tipped in the spring and early summer and selected leaves are pulled in early March to increase ventilation to the grapes and solar exposure on the morning sun side.


Vinification process:
The grapes were destemmed and crushed into a tank, where they underwent a pre-fermentation cold soak at 10C (50F) for 5 days to obtain greater extraction of color and aromas. Alcoholic fermentation took place with selected yeasts at 2628C (79-82F) and was very gentle to prevent over-extraction and obtain a more elegant, friendly, and balanced wine. The process concluded with a post-fermentation maceration for 1 to 2 weeks. Malolactic fermentation took place naturally in oak barrels. Most of the wine was aged in French oak barrels and delicately filtered prior to bottling.

Main aromas and flavors:
Cherries, blueberries, and subtle notes of black pepper and blond tobacco.


Grape:
100% Malbec


Aging process:
Approximately 83% of the wine was aged for 12 months in French oak barrels. The remaining 17% was aged in stainless steel and concrete tanks to contribute fruit and freshness to the final blend.


Alcohol Contents:
14% vol.


History Awards:



malbec-gran-reserva