El Incidente Carmenere
92 pts Wine Enthusiast
Tasting Notes:
Intense deep violet in color. The elegant nose is complex, with aromas of black fruits and very pronounced notes of black pepper (from its origin in the La Capilla vineyard), accompanied by forest fruits and sweet spices, with a subtle touch of game meat and blonde tobacco. The palate stands out for its freshness and elegance, with firm yet silky tannins, tremendous structure, complexity, and an ample, long finish.


Vineyards:
Was originally planted in the late 19th century and has an average age of 80 years. It is located west of Cunaco on soils of alluvial origin witha sandy-clay texture. They are extremely porous, have very good drainage, and no water table.


Vinification process:
A second selection took place upon arrival at the cellar to eliminate any remaining leaves and bunches with irregular ripening. The grapes were then destemmed and passed to a third selection to inspect the berries and eliminate any remains of stalks. The grapes then underwent a 9-day pre-fermentation maceration at 8C (46F). Alcoholic fermentation took place with selected yeasts in small stainless steel tanks at 2729C (8184F) with one pump over per day. Total maceration time was 31 days. The new wine was then devatted and racked to oak barrels, where malolactic fermentation occurred naturally. The wine aged in French oak barrels for 16 months. Approximately 70% of the barrels were new and the remaining 30% second-use. The wine was bottled unfiltered to conserve its concentration and character.

Main aromas and flavors:
Black fruits and very pronounced notes of black pepper and blond tabacco.


Grape:
Carmenere 93%, Petit Verdot 4%, Malbec 3%.


Aging process:
The wine aged in French oak barrels for 16 months. Approximately 70% of the barrels were new and the remaining 30% second-use.


Alcohol Contents:
14,7% vol.


History Awards:
92 pts Wine Enthusiast 2010
88 pts Robert Parker 2008



el-incidente-carmenere