Carmenere Gran Reserva
Tasting Notes:
Deep and intense purplish red in color. The nose is unique with a predominance of black pepper, wild blackberries, black cherries, ripe plums, forest fruits, blueberries, and a subtle note of leather. The palate is fresh, with tremendous structure and breadth, chalky tannins (typical of its origin in La Capilla), and a long and complex finish.

Vineyards:
La Capilla, near Peralillo in the Colchagua Valley. The Carmenere blocks average 21 years in age. The soils are of volcanic and alluvial origin, with low fertility, good drainage, a significant percentage of sand and silt, and a compact strata of sandstone to a depth of 1 meter. Whit volcanic ash on the surface leads to a special characteristics to the wine. The vineyard density is 3,344 plants per hectare. The vines are trellised to low vertical shoot position or double guyot and are cane pruned. Shoots are tipped in the spring and early summer and selected leaves are pulled in early March to increase ventilation to the grapes and solar exposure on the morning sun side.


Vinification process:
The grapes were destemmed and crushed into a tank, where they underwent a pre-fermentation cold soak at 10C (50F) for 5 days to obtain greater extraction of color and aromas. Alcoholic fermentation took place with selected yeasts at 2729C (81-84F) and was very gentle to prevent over-extraction and obtain a more elegant, friendly, and balanced wine. The process concluded with a post-fermentation maceration for 2 weeks. Malolactic fermentation took place naturally in oak barrels. Most of the wine was aged in French oak barrels and delicately filtered prior to bottling.

Main aromas and flavors:
Black pepper, wild blackberries, black cherries, ripe plums, forest fruits, blueberries, and a subtle note of leather


Grape:
Carmenere 97%, Tannat 2%, Grenache 1%.


Aging process:
86% of the wine was aged for 13 months in French oak barrels. The remaining 14% was aged in concrete tanks to contribute fruit and freshness to the final blend.


Alcohol Contents:
14% vol.


History Awards:



carmenere-gran-reserva