Cabernet Sauvignon Gran Reserva


Tasting Notes:
Ruby-red color with violet tints, this wine offers an elegant nose with standout red fruit, cherries, black currant, subtler spice notes, leather and blonde tobacco. On the palate, it displays tremendous structure, balance, liveliness, and lush acidity. Medium bodied, with ripe tannins and a pleasingly deep and persistent finish.

Vineyards:
The grapes for this wine come primarily from our vineyards at the San Carlos estate near Cunaco in the Colchagua Valley. The blocks of Cabernet Sauvignon are more than 100 years old. The soils are of alluvial origin with a sandy-clay texture. They are deep, extraordinarily porous, and have very good capacity for administering water to the plant throughout the year. The vineyard density is 4,808 plants per hectare. The vines are trellised to low vertical shoot position and spur pruned. Shoots are tipped in the spring and early summer and selected leaves are pulled in early March to increase ventilation to the grapes and solar exposure on the morning sun side.


Vinification process:
The grapes were destemmed and crushed into a tank, where they underwent a pre-fermentation cold soak at 10C (50F) for 4 days to obtain greater extraction of color and aromas. Alcoholic fermentation took place with selected yeasts at 2729C (81-84F) and was very gentle to prevent over-extraction and obtain a more elegant, friendly, and balanced wine. The process concluded with a post-fermentation maceration for approximately 2 weeks. Malolactic fermentation took place naturally in oak barrels. The wine was aged in French oak barrels and delicately filtered prior to bottling.

Main aromas and flavors:
Cherries, black currant, subtler spice notes, leather and blonde tobacco


Grape:
Cabernet Sauvignon 97%, Malbec 1%, Syrah 1%, and Tannat 1%.


Aging process:
Approximately 78% of the wine was aged in used French oak barrels for 13 months. The remaining 22% was aged in concrete tanks to lend greater freshness and fruit characteristics to the Final blend.


Alcohol Contents:
14% vol.


History Awards:
89 Robert Parker


cabernet-sauvignon-gran-reserva